Is football safe for competing High Schoolers?

Zachary Wallace, Staff Writer

Is football safe for competing High Schoolers? Everyone has their own opinion on football, it’s the most popular sport for High Schoolers, and for most Americans in general. The amount of impact the sport has on a school’s sense of pride isn’t even worth mentioning when compared to other sports. Although football is also known as a sport that leaves many students injured every year, coaches and staff members work to find new ways to keep their players safe.

No matter who’s asking, the question is the same: Is there major risk associated with playing the sport? And while the answer to that question is yes, it does have its risks, you could also say that the risk of injury is less today than at any point in the history of the sport.The NFHS has been working to improve the rules and safety regulations in football since 1932 . However, by the late 60s and early 70s, the number of deaths in high school football had accelerated  . In order to remedy this problem, several equipment and safety-related changes were put in place in 1975 and the number of fatalities began to decline. For example: In 2016 and 2017 there were only two deaths per year that, when compared to an annual 20 during the 60s & 70s, shows how committed NFHS has been in solving the problem. Moreover, today’s playing rules are in place at the high school level to manage a students with signs and symptoms of a concussion. Thanks to new guidelines and state laws in place, the incidence of high school players experiencing a repeat concussion has also been greatly reduced. Not to mention, the role practice restrictions and contact limits have played in aiding High School athletes.The NFHS and its 51-member associations have never been more committed to the health and safety of the almost eight million participants in high school sports and they won’t stop now.

About the Writer
Zachary Wallace, Staff

Hi I’m Zachary Wallace
First year at Wagner HS, 14 years around the sun. I like track and biking but a good book is just as enjoyable. I don’t have...