In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

The picture shows the gravesite of  Lieutenant-Colonel Karen J. Wagner, who was killed in the Pentagon during the September 11 attacks in 2001.

The picture shows the gravesite of Lieutenant-Colonel Karen J. Wagner, who was killed in the Pentagon during the September 11 attacks in 2001.

On Tuesday September 11,  2018, Karen Wagner High School students set out to honor their schools namesake: a hero who sacrificed her life saving others. Lieutenant-Colonel Karen Wagner had managed to escape during the 9/11 attacks on the Pentagon in 2001, but she re-entered in an attempt to help other escape.

On the 17th anniversary of her death, her family, as well as students and staff of Wagner High School, honored and remembered her achievements, her kind and remarkable spirit, and her sacrifice.

Lieutenant-Colonel Wagner, a product of Judson High School, was a member of her school’s JROTC program and demonstrated great leadership and poise; skills that she carried into her successful military career. The JROTC program here at Wagner sent students to perform a military tribute ceremony in the Lieutenant-Colonel’s honor. One student gave a moving speech about how Karen Wagner has served as an inspiration for many students, and about the honor with which the school bears her name.

Other organizations also sent student representation for the ceremony, including: Football, Volleyball, Cheerleading, Spirit Squad, Basketball, Tenis, Business Professionals of America, Journalism, and Band.

Principal Mary Duhart-Toppen paid homage to the fallen soldier in a touching speech, calling Wagner “the embodiment” of employing hard work and talent to make the world a better place. The ceremony was concluded with the laying of a wreath, followed by the playing of “Taps”, and a moment of silence.

Although Karen Wagner sacrificed her own life 17 years ago, her legacy is carried on through the students at Wagner High School, who bear her name with great pride.

Tyla Chevrier