In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

The picture shows the gravesite of  Lieutenant-Colonel Karen J. Wagner, who was killed in the Pentagon during the September 11 attacks in 2001.

The picture shows the gravesite of Lieutenant-Colonel Karen J. Wagner, who was killed in the Pentagon during the September 11 attacks in 2001.

On Tuesday September 11,  2018, Karen Wagner High School students set out to honor their schools namesake: a hero who sacrificed her life saving others. Lieutenant-Colonel Karen Wagner had managed to escape during the 9/11 attacks on the Pentagon in 2001, but she re-entered in an attempt to help other escape.

On the 17th anniversary of her death, her family, as well as students and staff of Wagner High School, honored and remembered her achievements, her kind and remarkable spirit, and her sacrifice.

Lieutenant-Colonel Wagner, a product of Judson High School, was a member of her school’s JROTC program and demonstrated great leadership and poise; skills that she carried into her successful military career. The JROTC program here at Wagner sent students to perform a military tribute ceremony in the Lieutenant-Colonel’s honor. One student gave a moving speech about how Karen Wagner has served as an inspiration for many students, and about the honor with which the school bears her name.

Other organizations also sent student representation for the ceremony, including: Football, Volleyball, Cheerleading, Spirit Squad, Basketball, Tenis, Business Professionals of America, Journalism, and Band.

Principal Mary Duhart-Toppen paid homage to the fallen soldier in a touching speech, calling Wagner “the embodiment” of employing hard work and talent to make the world a better place. The ceremony was concluded with the laying of a wreath, followed by the playing of “Taps”, and a moment of silence.

Although Karen Wagner sacrificed her own life 17 years ago, her legacy is carried on through the students at Wagner High School, who bear her name with great pride.

Tyla Chevrier

About the Writer
Tyla Chevrier, Editor

Hello, my name is Tyla Chevrier. I am one of the editors of the newspaper.

I participate in Business Professionals of America, National Honor Society,...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero”

1. Chloe Jackson on September 26th, 2018 4:46 pm

It was very noble of Karen Wagner to risk and lose her life in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. And i admire the fact that the students, teachers, friends and family members are still carrying on her legacy. I’m glad that she is being honored with a school named after her and minds set towards achieving excellence in her name.

2. Miyah White on September 27th, 2018 8:51 am

Being that the flowers are bluebonnets, they represent Karen Wagner and how she represents Texas — our state flower. We remember her and her importance for what she did to serve our country. It shows the good in her heart. She came out of the pentagon alive, but decided to go back in to save the lives of people remaining in the pentagon. This shows that she’s selfless.

3. Elisua Rodriguez on September 27th, 2018 10:32 pm

It is such a loss that such a caring soul was taken from us. I hope that we never forget her and what she did for our country. May her and other fallen heroes rest in peace.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Campus Updates

ACT and SAT Testing dates!!!

• Campus Updates

Come to the Christmas Concert and Support Wagner Choir!

• Campus Updates

TROC

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

Senior FAFSA Night: Financial Aid for College

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

Six Flags Raffle Tickets

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

HOMECOMING SPIRIT WEEK

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

Business Professionals of America are going to competition!!! Here are the competing categories!!!

• Campus Updates

Pre-Med Club Officer Elections

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

Wagner Robotics Team in the 2018-19 school year

• In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero

Campus Updates

SAT/ACT Prep TIPS and FQA

In Remembrance of a Fallen Hero