What is Academic Decathlon? Why should you join?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Some of the current members of Academic decathlon at last Saturdays practice.

Tyla Chevrier

Tyla Chevrier

Tyla Chevrier

Tyla Chevrier, Editor

The Academic Decathlon is a program that provides high school students an opportunity to experience the challenges of rigorous academic competition through participation in team activities. In addition, the Academic Decathlon involves members of the business industry as active supporters of a program promoting academic excellence. Long term relationships, developed through joint participation, benefit the students and the community.

Regional and state contests are held for schools categorized as large, medium, and small. Based on a point system, the highest scoring team represents Texas at the national USAD competition. All members of the winning team receive scholarships. Texas provides $150,000 in scholarship money each year. Registration fees and the Texas Education Agency contribute to this scholarship fund. There are 3 categories of students. The Honors category is composed of students with GPAs between 3.75 and 4.0. The Scholastic category consists of students with GPAs between 3.0 and 3.74. The final group, the Varsity category, contains students whose GPA ranges from 0.00 to 2.99.

You will be able to learn a variety of subjects ranging from Economics to Art and from Math to Literature. We will be holding our first mock competition against Judson ISD schools on the 14th of November.  

If you are interested in joining the Academic Decathlon please stop by Mr. Zarate’s’ room.

Source:

“About Texas Academic Decathlon.” Texas Academic Decathlon, Texas Academic Decathlon, 2018, www.txacadec.org/about.html.